Causes and Remedies of Defects in the Apparel Industry
Nishat Nawshin Ruchi
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
A defect is characteristics of product which impair function quality or its sale ability. But it is very common problem in the garments industry, it is mainly occur in garments produced on mass scale.
A defect is an unwanted feature in a product or absence of a desired feature or a feature existing in distorted or wrong way.
Types of defects:
There are two main types of defects are happened in the apparel industry. These are….
- Non sewing defect
- Sewing defect
1. Non sewing defect:
- Defect occurring due to faulty raw materials.
- Defect due to cutting of fabric, lining, interlining by wrong pattern.
- Defect due to wrong marking, spreading, cutting, bundling, etc.
- Defect occurring due to handling garments, for instance, spoilage, staining etc.
- Defect occurring due to oil mark etc.
- Defect due to wrong ironing, folding, packing, packaging etc.
2. Sewing defect:
- Defect due to the problem of stitch formation.
- Defect due to fabric distortion or puckering.
- Fabric damage along stitch line.
Causes of Non-sewing defect:
- An operator performing a job improperly causes a defect.
- A worker missing an operation in the job makes a defect.
- A operator setting a job improperly causes a defect.
- A worker hurrying or panicky causes defect.
- A worker not complying work-rule causes defect.
- A worker due to indiscipline may cause defect.
- Absenteeism of operator may cause defect.
- Migration of workers may lead to poor quality.
- Machine not well maintained.
- A machine with blunt or broken needle causes defect.
- A machine not properly cleaned causes defect.
- Using sub-standard material causes defect.
- Not importing goods from right supplier leads to poor goods.
- Absence of quality standard causes defect.
- Absence of training of workers may lead to defects.
- Absence of maintenance standard causes defect.
- A machine not properly cleaned causes defect
Remedy of Non-sewing defect:
- Brief workers and work standard.
- Set rigorous in-process quality control.
- Train and motivate workers to follow work standard.
- Attractive package and motivation to reduce migration.
- Introduce and maintain preventive maintenance management.
- Conduct preventive maintenance.
- Clean machine from time to time.
- Check machinery and set in process QC.
- Use only quality raw –materials.
- Inspect all incoming goods.
- Import goods only with pre-shipment.
- Machine and operators musk check.
Causes of Sewing defect:
- A machine with un-tensioned thread causes defect.
- A machine with blunt or broken needle cause defect.
- A machine with wrong feed mechanism.
- A machine leaking all cases defect.
Remedy of sewing defect:
- Adjust feed mechanism for the type of fabric.
- Motivate workers.
- Set right work standard.
- Set appropriate quality standard.
- Continuously motivate employees.