Design | Types of Design in Fashion
Head of the Department
Department of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Design is the creation of a plan or convention for the construction of an object or a system (as in architectural blueprints, engineering drawings, business processes, circuit diagrams and sewing patterns).
The nature of design is equally as complex as that of technology. Archer wrote that:
“Design is that area of human experience, skill and knowledge which is concerned with man’s ability to mould his environment to suit his material and spiritual needs.”
Types of Design:
There are two types of design:
- Structural design
- Decorative design
1. Structural design:
When an objects structure is an integral part of the design is structural design. Structural design is those that are made wide the size for colour, texture of an object. For eg: weaving different kinds of weave as examples of structural design. Structural design details in a dress include collar sleeves, yokes, pockets, skirts, position of seam lines etc.
Requirements of Good Structural Design:
- It should be suited to the purpose
- It should be simple.
- It should be well proportion
- It should be suited to the material with which it is made.
- It is far more importance than decorative design because it is essential to every object or garment whereas decorative is the luxury of design.
Structural design depends on the form and fabric. It is also created by the construction details as a design. It is inherit in all garments. Because it creates in construction details together including seams, collars, pockets and texture of the fabric. Any detail that is an integral part of the garment is a structural design. It may be very simple or to be very elaborate simple or to be very elaborate.
The basic requirements of a good structural deign for clothing are as follows:
- Silhouette pleasingly related to the body structure and expressive of that time.
- Design appropriate to its use and to the needs of the wearer.
- Well proportion individual parts that offer unity with variation.
- Character and individuality in line, form or texture.
2. Decorative Design:
It is the surface enrichment of structural design any line, colour of material that has been applied on structural design for the purpose of adding a richer quality is a decorative design. Beauty is the structure of design. Decorative design is only the luxury. e.g.: After weaving, when the impart design it is decorative: e.g.: Applique, embroidery, painting or any trimmings.
Requirements of Good Decorative Design:
- It should be used in moderation
- It should be placed at a structural points and should strengthen the shape of the object
- The decorative design should be suitable for the material and for the type of service it must give.
- There should be enough background space to give an effect of simplicity and dignity to design.
- Surface pattern should cover the surface quietly.
Types of Decorative Design:
They are 5 types of decorative design.
a. Naturalistic Design:
When objects from nature are selected and are reproduced exactly with photographic correction it is known as naturalistic design. eg: Flowers, leaves, animals and landscape.
b. Conventional Design:
When an object from nature s adopted to suit the purpose of the object and be decorative the motif ceases to be naturalistic.
c. Abstract Design:
Motif which does not have the nature as the source but the combination of lines producing irregular form i.e. not easily recognized. The modern art is an abstract design.
d. Historic Design:
It refers to the famous monuments or building of historic importance. eg: Temple, Taj Mahal
e. Geometric Design:
It is not derived from nature. It is derived from circles, rectangle, triangle, parallel lines and so on.
The basic requirements of a good decorative deign for clothing are as follows:
Applied and design should reinforced the basic design concept created in the construction of the garment. This is achieved when the placement of trims is created to the structural design. Decorative design is very attractive when it is created in size and structure to the textile of the garment. Suitable combination of textures includes:
- Fine embroidery for fine fabric
- Ricrac for medium weight cotton
- Sequence for shiny fine material
- yhsm-inucbr_001; types of design; types of design in fashion;