Effects of Colour on Our Fashionable Dress
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Colour plays an important part in your daily life. It is an extremely personal thing. It will affect all of the senses, sight, touch, taste and even hearing. It can be emotional, exciting, stimulating, calming, soothing. You should know how to use color to your best advantage.Colour is wonderful, without colour, life as we know it would be drab and dreary. The colours you select depend upon your figure and age, the occasion, the season, the texture of fabric, your personality, the colors already in your wardrobe, and your personal colouring.
Effects of colours are depending on:
- Effects of colour on figure
- Effects of colour on your complexion
- Effects of colour on your hair
- Effects of colour on your eyes
- Effects of Colour for occasion and season
- Effects of colour on fabric texture
- Effects of colour on personality
1. Effects of colour on figure:
You learned in discussing the effect of colour that dark or dull colors recede (to pull back, retreat, or become faint or distant) whereas light or bright colours advance.
- The stout figure will seem less bulky in dark and dull colour. Deep bronze, carnation red, navy blue, forest green are all dark shades of their hue, and help to minimize the size of the figure.
- The lean figures will seem less thin in pale tints or bright hue. For these, petal pink, daffodil yellow, pale cornflower blue, moss green are appropriate. Even in strong intensities any of these colours are attractive for the short, thin figure.
- A hip heavy figure will seem lighter if light values are used for the bodice and darker ones for the skirt.
- The girl with heavy shoulders and full chest but slim hips should use dark colours for jackets and blouses and lighter values for her skirts.
2. Effects of colour on your skin complexion:
The effects that colours have on your complexion, hair, and eyes are of the most importance in determining the colours most flattering to you. And of these three, your complexion is the most important to consider.
If you want to know detail information about this point please sees the article.
Color Selection of Dress According to Skin Color
3. Effects of colour on your hair:
- Hair is usually had different color such as blonde, brunette, red, or auburn.
- A girl with blue-black hair, blue eyes, and fair skin is not a true brunette, but one with brown eyes, dark complexion, and brown hair is truly the brunette type.
- A girl with golden hair may have brown eyes and orange-red skin tones and be able to wear different kind of colourful dress.
4. Effects of colour on your eyes:
Unless your eyes are your best feature they are not as important as your complexion or your hair in choosing colour, but when possible their colour should be accented. A blue –eyed person may wear a blue scarf or earrings or a pin of a shade which will emphasize the blue of the eyes.
5. Effects of Colour for occasion and season:
For any types of occasion or activity our garments are affects the choice of color.
- White colour dresses are used at formal look, Bright colors are appropriate for informal party, soft, pale, dark, or dull colour give a feeling of formality.
- We also wear different colour dresses according to our different season.
- Spring suggests clear blues, blue- greens, yellow, and other bright colour.
- Summer suggest white and pastel tints which reflect the sun’s rays.
- Fall suggest flaming colors, like red, brown, and orange.
- Winter suggest warm color, bright or dark.
6. Effects of colour on fabric texture:
Effects of colour on fabric texture are important in your dress selection.
- A sheer fabric dyed bright red is not as intense as a heavy shiny fabric of the same colour.
- White in a soft fabric is usually flattering to the face, but a white satin with reflections of light and used to made gorgeous party gown and other stylish dress.
7. Effects of colour on personality:
Colour should always affect our personality.
- If you are the dynamic, vivacious type, vivid colours and bright colour contrast will be perfect.
- If you are very feminine and less animated, more subdued tones color are consistent with your personality.
- Most girls are not a distinct personality type consistently; their changing moods may determine their degree of gaiety, animation, or gentleness, and quietness.
- Therefore you may choose colours to suit your moods, or you may try to change a somber mood by wearing gray colours.
- A red or yellow colour umbrella may be bright note on a dull, rainy day.