Fashion Buyer / Job Responsibilities for a Fashion Buyer
Head of the Department
Department of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
A Fashion buyer is responsible for overseeing the development of a range of products aimed at a specific type of customer and price bracket. They are selects, orders and purchases clothing or accessories for a retail apparel store or chain of stores. They’re responsible for buying all kinds of items, women’s, men’s and children’s clothing, including lingerie, shoes, scarves, belts and jewelry.
Job Responsibilities for a Fashion Buyer:
The job duties and responsibilities of a Fashion Buyers are not easy. Some job responsibilities are mentioned below:
- As a Fashion Buyer they need to select a certain area, such as Apparel, shoes or accessories.
- Fashion buyers need a thorough understanding of their company’s brand and values, and the ability to price and negotiate different products.
- Fashion buyers have to understand the clothing needs, desires, and budget of the store’s typical shoppers.
- They choose products from the reliable suppliers in the right country for the right price, quality, and speed of delivery.
- Understand about current and future fashion trends, must try to attained different fashion show, trade fair, conference and exhibition also.
- Being aware of fashion trends and what competitors are doing.
- Professional fashion buyers have good taste in clothing and know their customers fit and psychology.
- Be concern about price, availability, reliability and selection.
- Studies the color and cut predictions for the upcoming seasons.
- Build and maintain good relationships with suppliers, company’s manufacturers, design or sales department. He or she must follow the fashion buying cycle to maintain their work.
- Buyers liaise with garment suppliers on a regular, often daily, basis.
- Reacting to sales to ensure that the correct stocks and repeats are available.
- They always have to be aware of what the store’s selling price on each purchased item.
- A fashion buyer must make sure that the department or store will make a profit from their purchases.
- A fashion buyer analyzes market reports, talks to consultants, goes to fashion shows and keeps in touch with customers.
- Fashion buyers work for retail chains, department stores, and independently owned stores and for wholesale distributors.