Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Journalism is, a course of study preparing students for careers in reporting, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines, or the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.
The general field of journalism has become specialized with various types of writing, depending on the audience and motives of the writers. Distinctions are also made to separate various journalism genres as categories of writing.
Fashion journalism is all about articles or reports related to the fashion world. Journalists are also known as fashion writers or fashion editors. The primary job is to cover the latest in the fashion business or develop lifestyle articles. Such fashion articles can be found in magazines and newspapers. Today, there are many television channels that cater only to fashion, which gives ample opportunity for journalists who have a passion to cover such topics.
The fashion consumer is not born with the knowledge of fashion brands, criteria of judging the colour and style to buy. Fashion journalism is again involved with fashion promotion. Therefore this is a media through which the consumer acquires knowledge about the present fashion trend and colour.
Fashion journalism involves all aspects of published fashion media, including fashion writers, fashion critics, and fashion reporters. This can be fashion features in magazines and newspapers, and may also include books about fashion, fashion related reports on television and online fashion magazines, websites, and blogs.
Objectives of Fashion Journalism:
- The let fashion consumer know about the famous brands, new and upcoming brands
- They help to give the knowledge about the color, style, silhouettes and fabric that is in, at a particular given period of time
- Gives knowledge about national and international fashion world
- The comments of fashion journalists after a fashion show or trade fair can greatly influence trade buyers as well as consumers
- They give an editorial on a fashion company showing the growth of an organization
- It gives an insight about opportunities available for budding designers
- It gives news about the upcoming designers and boutiques etc.