HISTORY OF CHILDREN COSTUMES 1947-1964
Syeda Aziza Shanam
Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University),
Children Costumes were cut in very simple way, dresses were cut along the same lines as those of adult woman, but shorter for both little girls and young adult or ancients. As under dress they use to wear pantaletters. Children costumes are mainly follow adult styles. Cotton, linen and synthetic blended fabrics are used for children costumes.
- Girls usually wores shawls and pelisses for outdoors.
Hair and Headdresses:
- Although small girls wore simple,natural styles,adolents adopted fashionable adult styles,particularly Grecian style.
Glasses and Sunglasses:
- Cat eye glasses, nerd glasses, novelty glasses, aviator sunglasses
- Elbow length gloves, fingerless gloves, lace gloves, satin gloves, clown gloves.
Boots and Shoes:
- Go go boots, pimp shoes, platform shoes, mary janes, ruby slippers, glitter ballet flats, clown shoes
- Bonnets among the most popular hat style.
- Girls also wore slippers or soft boots made of leather or fabric.
- Their skirts were similar to those little girls, although generally slightly shorter. By age 4 or 5, trousers usually worn under skirts.
- Skeleton suits , a loose shirt with side pants, frilled collar and ankle length trouser that began high with trouser generally buttoned to shirt were very popular.