How to Create Fashion Look Books
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Look book is a set of photographs compiled to show off a model, a photographer, a style, or stylist or a clothing line, show off a new brand’s and their collection, displaying a fashion designer’s new collection, assembled for marketing purposes.
Look book is not meant to sell the fashion clothing, it is meant to excite a viewer about a product, entice them to check out the store/website or learn more about the brand. You can put anything in a Look Book like: white papers, media, websites, articles, data etc.
Objectives of Look book:
Look book is a powerful marketing tools used by retail businesses to showcase clothing, fashion, style, latest trends, accessories to customers and build buzz about a brand. Some objectives of look book are as follows:
- To show the latest fashion
- Mainly used for fashion labels to visually conceptualize the idea or ‘look’ of the latest collection
- Also used by independent brands as a form of promotion.
- Usually, bloggers will “model” fashionable looks for that month or season.
- It gives viewers ideas on how to style outfits
- It is an especially popular term with fashion bloggers, because bloggers are constantly updating them on a daily or weekly basis. Some blogs focus more on fashion advice, different information of latest fashion, trends etc.
Rules of Good Look Book Design:
- At first you know the product demand of customer
- Use quality image and graphical elements
- keep it simple and cohesive
- Design for your target market, not your personal preferences
- Keep the style consistent from issue to issue to help build and support your brand design
- Make the product the main focus
- Important items should go on the outside of pages
- Give products room to breathe by taking advantage of the white space
- Look Books that are 4 pages are perfect for starting out shops while 8 or 16 page are ideal for larger shops with bigger budgets
- Analyze your results for making improvements
How to create fashion look books:
1. Take a plan:
Before creating a Look Book in physical form it is vital to map out a blueprint. Look Books come in various formats therefore choosing a template that best suits the brand is the first step.
Look books formats are two types:
- Manually created look book
- Wed look book (Digital version)
- Printed look book
2. Target your market:
After taking a plan you will select your target customer which brand will show off the brands history and information on the designer show the Brand mission and philosophy, Product category etc.
If you want to know the detail information about “Style of women’s skirts according to the length” please visit…..
3. Photography and Model:
Photography is the most important part of a Look Book. High quality image, artistic photographs and new style of a reputed model that complement the brand are extremely necessary.
If you want to know the detail information about “Fashion Models” please visit…..
4. Product & Collection Information:
Product knowledge and the collection information such as varied dress,fits, colors, fabrics and style names or numbers for future reference should be important to display especially for potential buyers and consumers viewing Look Books.
5. Aesthetics & Originality:
Creating the perfect Look Book and gaining attention for a brand is based largely on the books presentation and distinctiveness. Add information such as: sketches, fabric swatches and even a glance into the design and production process of the featured collection.
6. Brand Information:
Brand information should include: websites, phone and fax numbers, the address of headquarters, an email address and any social networks such as Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
Now you have needed to distribute your look book. Put a link to your online look book on your website and blog. You can also send a printed version to potential stockiest or send it along with your press kit to your media contacts and share it on the various group of social site.
I hope you will get some great ideas to start on creating a look book for your business purposes.