Important Tips to Make a Fashion Designer’s Portfolio
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
A portfolio is a collection of work that shows an applicant’s skills and knowledge across a number of projects or studies. It is a visual representation of interests, exploration, experimentation, development and final pieces.
Types of Some important tips and making techniques are:
- Admission portfolio ( For post graduate Students)
- Professional portfolio ( For fashion designer)
1. Admission portfolio (For post graduate Students):
After completing your graduation in fashion design area, if you want to apply other courses, masters or research work then you must need to prepare an admission portfolio.
- Portfolio submissions for Fashion Design consist of: a drawing test, a design test, a sewing test, a written essay, and a portfolio cover page. Construction knowledge should be represented in both your design sketches and garment images. Originality, creativity, and design aesthetic are valued.
- All schools or university have different portfolio requirements, so make sure to read the requirements and follow them.
2. Professional portfolio (For fashion designer):
Portfolio is a key step to employment as a Fashion Designer. It’s essential that you make a professional portfolio that demonstrates your talent and skills.
Important Tips to Make a Fashion Designer’s Portfolio:
The portfolio gives you the opportunity to show your versatility. Show work that is visually stimulating and contributes to your breath of experience. Add work relevant to your job interview and o your research about company.
How will you prepare a strong fashion designer’s portfolio for your job career? Some important tips and making techniques are as follows:
- At first you need to select a theme and make an inspiration board by this theme.
- With the help of your inspiration theme now you make a mood board. The most recent work first. Start with the latest trend research and work backwards through your fashion career history.
- Include samples, grouping them by collection, color, season etc.
- Organize your works so that similar projects are together and that the sequence is; Research material (be it sketch book or drawn sheets) followed by your best design development sheets, then the final chosen range or collection or product.
- This stage, you will select the best design from your sketch book, and make some illustration with a new and creative dress design. Include your sketch work in your fashion portfolio. Sketches done by hand to jot down your ideas.
- Now developed your dress pattern. Pattern cutting as well as the highly important skill of ability to ensure correct interpretation.
- Select fabric which is related to your theme. Also select dress design media such as: embroidery, block, tie dye, hand stitch, applique etc.
- After choosing media you will start to make your dress for your photo-shoot by reputed model.
- Make a board by and add in pictures of designs, pieces, models, jewelry and accessories etc.
- Photo shot by the professional photographer. Do not include any unprofessional images/photo shoots in your fashion portfolio.
- A portfolio can be any size that works for the content – A4, A3 etc. The best advice here is to edit the work and compile the portfolio as a series of projects or studies.
- You also should create a digital version of your fashion portfolio. Also make a CD and include in your portfolio.
- Also present Sketchbook or hard copy of your portfolio can be strung into the ring binder or album file at the appropriate place. The inside first page may be a personal statement about you. You could include CV and hand out copies to the interview panel.
- When applying for a fashion job always send your portfolio with your CV at the initial application stage.
- To support your fashion design work, include any images of your finished garment. This can include, look books, published designs on websites, fashion magazines, marketing materials, professional fashion shoots, images of celebrities wearing the design etc.
Which works could go in a fashion portfolio? (At a glance)
- Add Curriculum vitae
- Select inspiration theme
- Make mood board (Include samples, grouping them by collection, color, season etc.)
- Color swatch
- Fashion illustration
- Designs and sketches
- Paintings and drawings
- Photos of sculptures or 3D art
- Graphics working drawings
- Pattern cutting
- Dress making
- Computer aided design
- Photographs of garments you have designed
If you want to know the detail information about Application of computer in fashion designing please visit…..