Measurement Procedure of a Long Sleeve Shirt
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
To get an actual measurement and a perfect look of a long sleeve shirt, you have to know the right measurement procedure. You must know about the different parts of a long sleeve shirt, that is the main part for a measurement procedure. But measurement procedure is different according to different types of shirt style.
Now I will discuss how to take you the measurement from a basic long sleeve shirt.
1. Neck size: It is the distance from collar button position to collar hole center position.
2. Band width: This is the width of the band center.
3. Collar width: This is the width of the collar at band center.
4. Collar spread: When folding of the garment is over, it is the distance between two collar points.
5. Collar point length: This is the distance between collar point and the band point.
6. Collar height: Height of the center of collar when shirt is folded.
7. Sleeve length:
a) Distance between band center bottom & end of cuff;
b) Distance between top of armhole and end of cuff.
8. Sleeve opening: Circumferential distance between button positions to button hole when cuffs button is fastened.
9. Cuff length:The length of the cuff shown in the figure.
10. Cuff width: This is the cuff width shown in the figure.
11. Arm hole: The circumferential distance of the arm hole where sleeve & body are attached.
12. Upper arm: This is the distance between top of the arm hole and armpit ×2.
13. Elbow: This is the circumference of the elbow.
14. Across chest: The shortest distance on the chest between two arm holes.
15. Chest: Distance on the chest measured 1”- ½” bellow arm hole.
16. Waist: This is the circumferential distance of the waist.
17. Hip: The circumferential distance around the hip.
18. Front length: This is the vertical length of the front measured from band bottom to the end of bottom.
19. Shoulder: This is the length of the top yoke when shirt is spread uniformly upside down.
20. Across back: This is the shortest distance between armholes when the shirt is spread upside down.
21. Yoke length: This is the length of the yoke attached to the back.
22. Back length: This is the vertical length of the back measured from band bottom to the end of bottom.
23. Side seam: This is the distance between bottom of armhole and bottom at the side of the shirt.