Requirements to Become a Fashion Designer
Fatema Tuj Zohora
Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Fashion Designer is a person who creates or designed anything unique, innovative and fashionable. Ex: clothing, dress, Accessories etc. Some high-fashion designers are self-employed and design for individual clients. Some are work at high-fashion department stores. These designers create original garments, to follow established fashion trends. Most fashion designers work for apparel manufacturers, creating designs of men’s, women’s, and children’s fashions for the mass market.
Requirements to become a fashion designer:
- Creative thinking & Artistic sense
- Strong Drawing Skills
- Educational requirements
- Sewing & Fabric manipulation idea & skill
- Composition sense
- An understanding of texture, color, and quality of fabric
- Strong Visualization Skills & Good Eye for Detail
- Computer Skills
- Fashion with Forecasting Trend
- Fashion show & Fashion week
- To know Fashion Runway & Catwalk
- Excellent Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Learn more
1. Creative think & Artistic sense:
Being a fashion designer obviously should have a creative thinking and an Artistic sense to create anything. Begins with a creative thinking and artistic sense and used it make a raw materials brings to becoming a beautiful finished product. Creative thinking is an expression of fashion.
2. Strong drawing skills:
For designer one of the most crucial or main skills to possess is strong drawing skills. A designer must be able to take a concept and get it down on paper. If you think anything than draw it. It helps to discover your creativity and easy to work.
3. Educational requirements:
Fashion designers typically need an associate or a bachelor’s degree in fashion design. Some fashion designers also combine a fashion design degree with a business, marketing, or fashion merchandising degree, especially those who want to run their own business or retail store. Basic coursework includes color, textiles, sewing and tailoring, pattern making, fashion history, computer-aided design (CAD), and design of different types of clothing such as menswear or footwear. Coursework in human anatomy, mathematics, and psychology is also useful as knowing the constructs of the human body, as well as how it moves.
After completing the fashion designing course, fashion designer need to make a Portfolio to show their work. Portfolio is an integral or full part of your fashion career. Two types of portfolio making technique are available in the industry. these are
- Admission portfolio ( For post graduate Students)
- Professional portfolio ( For fashion designer)
It is an art work that helps make something clear or attractive. An illustration is a visualization made by an artist, such as a drawing, sketch, painting, photograph, or other kind of image of things seen, remembered or imagined, using a graphical representation.
- Art, Design/sketch drawing by CAD: Although most designers initially sketch designs by hand, a growing number now make use of computer-aided design (CAD) software to translate these hand sketches to the computer. Using CAD software also allows designers to view designs of clothing on virtual models and in different colours and shapes, which will save time by eliminating the need to make as many adjustments later with prototypes and samples.
5. Pattern making:
Become in a Fashion designer obviously need to know how to make a pattern. And which way are used to develop it. Pattern are developed mainly two way & A pattern maker typically employs one of two methods to create a pattern.
- Computerized or flat method
- Draping, Modeling or dummy system.
Computerized or Flat-pattern method:
The flat-pattern method is a system where the entire pattern is drafted on a flat surface from measurements. And pattern makers also use various tools to mark the pattern. Usually, flat patterning begins with the creation of a block pattern, a simple, fitted garment made to the wearer’s measurements. For women, the final block can be used in turn to create patterns for many styles of garments with varying necklines, sleeves, dart placements, and so on.
Draping, Modeling or dummy system:
The draping method creating a mock-up pattern by pinning fabric directly on a form then transferring the mock-up outline and markings onto a paper pattern or using the mock-up as the pattern itself.
- Pattern grading
6. Sewing & Fabric manipulation idea & skill:
- Sewing: Fashion designers should know how to build the garments they design. This requires skills in sewing, basic knitting and fabric draping, and an understanding of experimental fabric-manipulations, such as pleating, applique, layering or gathering.
- Fabric manipulation idea & skill: Fabric manipulation is a technique to use pleat, shrink, applique, or gathering fabric. Fashion designer need to know how to sew fabric & used to manipulate fabric technique become a dress more decorative & attractive.
7. Composition Sense:
Composition Sense is an major part an art of Fashion. See all over dress, accessories or fashionable or related any product looking nice and shape, color, keep it balance. When a designer designed dress then she/he should be need to know about composition otherwise the designed dress loss its quality and it could not reach the finished product.
Designer should have need to ability to discover a creative good finished product and send or give to people. If they should not know about composition sense and don’t know how to use it then it’s not possible to work in Fashion Design.
8. An understanding of texture, color, and quality of fabric:
Design involves a good sense of texture, color, and fabric in order to make it unique and desirable. Important to know fabric quality that you need to have the understanding of the raw materials that you are working with. You need to analyze beforehand as to what design will look good with a certain fabric, how can you use it, which colors you can mix with it and so on. These will help you in making your designs and costumes look good.
- Texture & print: Fashion designer need to know which texture are current fashion trend & which one is used to your design.
- Color: To know about color circle, trend & mixing color effectively .And research color trend forecast. Which color are recent trend and predicting trend.
- Fabric quality & print: To know about fabric quality and its print. Which print trend is current Fashion? Which fabrics are used which design.
9. Strong Visualization Skills & Good Eye for Detail:
Prior or before to the drawing phase, a good designer must have strong visualization skills in order to come-up with a concept. Designers are able to get their ideas onto paper so that other team members will be able to visualize a concept prior to coming up with a finished product.
When designing fashion it is imperative for designers to be able to come up with a basic drawing and then be able to follow through with the detail. It is often the detail that makes a product unique so this skill cannot be overlooked even if the designer beats the competition in visualizing and drawing.
10. Computer Skills:
Fashion designers don’t sketch only by hand. For large-scale presentations, they use computer-aided design programs and graphics editing software. Employers prefer designers who can use technology to illustrate fresh runway creations.
- Adobe photo shop
- Adobe illustrator
- CAD design
- Graphic design
- MS office
11. Fashion with forecasting Trend:
To know which fashion trend and research are available now & then present, previous & forecasting or future fashion. It helps to easy to develop create in upcoming new design.
- Knowledge & Interest in Current Fashion Trends. Which versions are now fashions? Which fashion is taken in people?
- To know & discuss in predicting Fashion trend. Researching future fashion trends. Some designers conduct their own research, while others rely on fashion industry trade groups who publish trend reports that project the particular styles, colours, and fabrics which are expected to be popular for a certain season in the future.
- To see fashion history and previous trend.
- To know about fall Fashion. Fall fashion is an often unexpected drop or descent or the season that comes after summer and before winter. Ex, month of November.
12. Fashion show & Fashion week:
A fashion week is a fashion industry event, lasting approximately one week, which allows fashion designers, brands or “houses” to display their latest collections in runway shows and buyers and the media to take a look at the latest trends. Most importantly, these events let the industry know what’s “in” and what’s “out” for the season.
The most prominent fashion weeks are held in the four fashion capitals of the world: Milan, Paris, New York and London. Other notable week-long fashion events are held in cities around the world. To know about Fashion week & Fashion show and see this. Which Fashionable dress & accessories are upcoming?
- Visiting trade show: Visiting manufacturers or trade shows to procure fabric samples in order to decide which fabrics to use with which designs. to visit different trade show to know fashion about more and various peoples test & want.
13. To knows Fashion Runway & Catwalk:
In fashion, a runway or catwalk is a narrow, usually flat platform that runs into an auditorium or between sections of an outdoor seating area, used by models to demonstrate clothing and accessories during a fashion show.
14. Excellent Communication & Interpersonal Skills:
- Keeping up with the fashion world is essential in order to better understand what other designers are doing and what current customers are buying.
- Make as many industry connections as possible. Many of these relationships can be developed in school. Include people in related fields, such as advertising.
15. Learn more:
Learn about fashion trends and try to predict what will be popular in the future. Learn the sales aspects of fashion, in terms of knowing the major department stores and the stores that sell specialty categories of fashion. Also become familiar with shopper profiles (age, income, lifestyles, etc) and what customers are eager to buy. Also learn
- To know about season.ex: spring, summer, autumn, winter
- Discover & Elaborate on style or Vogue trends and peoples test.
- Read Fashion Magazines
- Subscribe to trade news paper and fashion magazines. This is a great way to keep up-to-date with fashion trends. Industry professionals regularly tap into these publications and successful fashion designers should do the same.
- Working with senior because you will also be working with industry professionals who may serve as important contacts in the future and who can give you first-hand advice and feedback on your work.