Selection of Cuff for Dress Shirt
The cuff is the end part of a sleeve or leg of trousers, which is actually is made with an extra layer of fabric. By turning back the materials or by sewing a separate band of material, cuff can be made. By carrying ornamental border a cuff increase the beauty of garments.
Classification of Cuff
We can classify cuff for dress into different categories according to in which garments this is using. Mainly we will get three types if we observe thoroughly. These are:
There are different types of shirt cuff. I.e.
- Button cuffs
- Link cuffs
- Single cuff
- Two-button turn back cuff
- Double cuff/French cuff
- Convertible cuff
Which cuff for dress shirt?
There are three different types of cuff for dress that can be encountered on a dress shirt. These are,
I. Button cuff
- Button cuff such types of cuff which is made with a sleeve that closes at the end with one, two or three buttons.
- It is one of the most common variety for making dress shirt.
- It is also called barrel cuff.
II. French cuff/ double cuff
- It is composed with extra piece of fabric folded back over it. It held together with a cufflink. It is also called double cuff. Once French cuff was considered as more formal than button cuff.
- French cuff shirt can be worn with a lounge suit or with more formal clothing.
- If anybody wear these cuff shirt without a tie or jacket, than it will be semi formal.
III. A two-button turn back cuff
- In two-button turn back cuff there is extra piece of fabric folded back which imitate a French cuff but held together by two button.
- This is also called Nepolitan or a bondcuff. Sometimes it is also called cocktail or carpil cuff.
So, now for your dress shirt choose your favorite one cuff and express you as a person of strong personality with your formal outfit. And if you have any other the best idea related this topic, don’t forget to share this with me.