Style is an interior manifestation of what we are, it is an extension of our personality. Style is the result of our daily activities, it is a result of what we study, what we read, what hobbies we have, the places we travel to, the cultures and traditions we inspire ourselves from. All of these factors and situations come together to form what is called personal style.
Style is any particular characteristics or look in apparel or accessories. Designers interpret fashion ideas into new style and offer them to the public. The manufacturer assigns a sign for become a fashion.
A style may come and go in fashion, but that specific style always remains that style, whether it is in fashion or not. For instance the polo shirt style will not always be in fashion, yet it will always have variations of the same styling and details, which make it a polo shirt.
Different Categories of Styles on Dress:
Understanding the different categories of styles is a skill that demands up-to-date knowledge and motivation.
1. Haute (High fashion) :
This category includes the very chic, one-of-a-kind, the custom-made and fashion designer’s collection.
- Colors – Unusual and rare.
- Lines– Unusually layered, fitted to suit, very specific individual taste.
- Textures- Unusual and rare materials.
- Effect– One-of-a-kind, leader, very unique, tres chic
- Needs- Custom-made, designer’s originals, very expensive.
- Favorite Accessory– Coordinated matching and custom made pieces.
Note: Notice the unusual layers, unique and one of a kind designs.
This style includes expensive designer’s reproduction, but should not be misunderstood as “haute” or high fashion.
- Color– Unusual, muted solid colors (gray, black and white)
- Lines- Mostly uncomplicated and well fitted (Chanel type)
- Textures- Fine fabrics, usually expensive materials.
- Effects- Very refined, status and executive-looking.
- Needs -Semi custom-made or altered to fit.
- Favorite Accessory- Coordinated and matching real gold and diamond accessories.
Note: Notice the emphasis on the uncomplicated, well fitted status look.
This styles includes Town & Country or the emphasis of business and corporate look.
- Color- Beige, navy, red, blue and black.
- Lines- Simple and traditional trim.
- Textures- Durable and natural fibers.
- Effects- Typical leader, practical, conservative.
- Needs- Clothes that has a timeless appeal year after year, expensive.
- Favorite Accessory -Traditional and conservative shapes.
Note: Notice the a timeless appeal of the design. A very good example are the collection of Chanel.
4. Conservative (feminine/demure):
This category includes traditional old fashioned, but should not be misunderstood as a classic because of its girlish features.
- Color –Pastel, soft blends, muted rainbows.
- Lines –Simple flows, rounded curves and semi- fitted.
- Textures- Light, flowing, lace, usually old-fashioned small print.
- Effects –Fragile, soft, charming, innocent and very feminine.
- Needs- Gentle, very delicate – price not an issue.
- Favorite Accessory- Very simple real gold and diamond accessories.
Note: Notice the simple accessories, its color and angular lines.
5. Western (Country) :
The opposite of conservative. Clothes are reduced from the feminine emphasis.
- Color- Earth tones are favorites.
- Lines –Durable, simple, easy and comfortable.
- Textures- Natural fibers, basic denim, thick and old-fashioned.
- Effects- Tough, strong, sometimes western.
- Needs- Durability, mobility and price not an issue.
- Favorite Accessory- Big water-resistant watch, leather boots and thick belt.
Note: Notice the emphasis of earth tone colors.
This category includes denim, feeling at-home, sometimes western.
- Color- Any, color is not an issue (brights, pastels, earth tones)
- Lines –Unstructured, simple, and easy.
- Textures-Popular (natural, blend or synthetic fibers).
- Effects- Easy-going, athletic, unpretentious and simple.
- Needs- Easy care, home atmosphere and comfortable.
- Favorite Accessory- Cloth bag, basic, simple accessories, including disposables.
Note: Notice the easy-going features and simple lines.
This category did not really make it outside Star Trek epoch and may have gone during the dot-com era. The category emphasizes the look of the electronic and the computer age. The design concept is based on galactic or extra-terrestrial inspired clothing.
- Color- Strong metallic (gold, silver, etc.), vivid, and contrasting.
- Lines- Angular, sharp and usually asymmetrical.
- Textures- Hard, unusually bold and often overwhelmingly round or square
- Effects- Impractical to our present times, unique accessories or trim.
- Needs- Bold statement, extra-ordinary accessories, usually expensive
- Favorite Accessory- Bold geometric accessories (rings, earrings, including bags)
Note: Notice the unique accessories, its sharp and angular lines. Shoes with flashing red lights are examples of this style.
8. Dramatic (Theatrical):
This styles creates a glamorous and glitzy impact.
- Color –Strong, vivid, and contrasting (black is a favorite color).
- Lines– Severe, sharp and usually asymmetrical. Bold and often over overwhelmingly fitted with open slits.
- Textures- Rare and trendy.
- Effects- Confident, chic, sexy and catchy.
- Needs- Custom-made or altered to fit.
- Favorite Accessory- Bold statement usually metallic (gold, silver, bronzes, etc).
Note: Notice the fit, its impact and its open slits. Sometimes open back design or see-through materials are used. You’ll when you see one.