How Quality Management System (QMS) Works in the Apparel Industry
Nishat Nawshin Ruchi
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
What is Quality Management System (QMS):
Quality Management System (QMS) is a set of interrelated techniques, measures and management system designed to prevent defects from occurring or if they occur at all , countermeasures are adopted immediately so that they do not recur. QMS takes recourse to preventive as well as remedial measures.
Step by Step Quality Management System (QMS) in the Apparel Industry:
A number of systems, measures, and techniques are used so that only quality goods are produced in the first place and defect do not originate at all. If they occur at all, there must be corrective action so that they are eliminated in the preliminary stage and would not reappear.
Quality Management System (QMS) generally employs the following measures, techniques to ensure that only high quality good are produced:
- Inspect all incoming, in-process & final goods to ensure quality of goods.
- Ensure that all patterns & grading of patterns are okay.
- Inspect marker and check if it is okay and within consumption.
- Inspect spreading, cutting & numbering.
- Ensure if relaxation time was given to knit fabric.
- Install in-line inspector in the sewing lines.
- Install Traffic Light Chart system or other system to monitor quality in production line.
- Inspect 100% goods delivered from sewing lines.
- Inspect the table quality inspection passed garments with Statistical Technique.
- Control reject goods so that they do not mix up with quality passed goods.
- Control repairable goods, washable goods so that they can be double checked to ensure quality.
- Inspect goods with right equipment’s and in right conditions.
- Inspect ironing or pressing, folding.
- Make repeat inspection of garments prior to poly-bagging.
- Inspect poly-bagging & assortment.
- Ensure the measurements of carton and complete packaging according to the buyer instruction.
- Final table inspection in conducted prior to shipment of goods.
- Impart training QA personnel so that they can easily identify defects & understand the causes of defects.
- Impart training QA personnel on Statistical Methods.
- Make continuous improvement plans & implement them.