Types of Fashion Categories to Designing a Dress
Assistant professor, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
The garments produced by clothing manufacturers fall into three main categories of fashion, although these may be split up into additional, more specific categories. Fashion designers are mainly design their product with the help of these categories. At first every designers are decided to his/her category for designing a dress.
Types of Fashion Categories:
- Haute couture fashion
- Ready-to-wear fashion
- Mass market fashion
1. Haute couture fashion:
If designer are like to design for a specific client with a high quality product they choose Haute Couture fashion. Until the 1950s, fashion clothing was predominately designed manufactured on a made-to- measure or haute couture basis (French for high fashion), with each garments being created for a specific client.
- A couture garments is made to order for an individual costumer.
- It is usually made from high quality.
- Use expensive fabric for dress making.
- Sewing with extreme attention to detail and finish.
- Use more time to complete garments.
- Use executed techniques.
- Look and fit take priority over the cost of materials and the time it takes to make.
2. Ready-to-wear fashion:
Ready-to-wear fashions are a cross between haute couture and mass market. They are not made for individual customer but great care is taken in the choice and cut of the fabric.
- Garments are made in small quantities to guarantee exclusively, so they are rather expensive.
- Ready-to-wear fashion collections are usually presented by fashion houses.
- Designs are mainly created by season, season during a period known as fashion week.
- This fashion is takes place on a city wide basis and occurs twice a year.
3. Mass market fashion:
Currently the fashion industry relies more on mass market sales. The mass market fashion caters for a wide range of customers, producing ready-to-wear clothes in large quantities and standard sizes.
- Use in expensive accessories, creativity and produce affordable fashion in our country wise.
- Mass market fashion designers are generally adapts the latest trends set by the famous names in fashion.
- Designer are design their dress on the basis of season and season related color.
- Designers often wait around season to make sure a style is going to catch on before producing their own versions of the original look.
- Mass market fashion save manufacturer time and save consumer money also.
- Designer use cheaper fabrics and simpler production techniques that is easily done by machine.
- The end product can therefore be sold much more cheaply.
To become a successful designer, you must know about the categories of fashion to design a dress. Finally you will select fashion category and design your category related garments for the target consumer.
- Mass market dress; Types of Fashion Categories;