Visual Merchandising – Creative Career in the Fashion Industry
Lecturer, Dept. of Fashion Design
KCC Women’s College (Affiliated by Khulna University)
Visual merchandising is displaying merchandise with the aim of maximizing the volume of product sales- define by Pegler (1998).
Visual merchandising is responsible for enticing as many target customers as possible into the store through effective ideas of window displays and encouraging them to buy through the skillful layout of product in store. Awareness of the company’s brand image is essential, combined with knowledge of products display techniques.
In visual merchandising, the products being sold are typically displayed in window display and in-store display such as way as to attract consumers from the intended market by drawing attention to the products best features, qualities, benefits and outlooks.
If you want to know the detail information about “Window Display | Functions and Objectives of Window Display” please visit…..
Visual merchandiser is a person who applies his or her design skills that helps to promote the image, create eye-catching product displays and store layouts, and design to attract customers and encourage them to buy.
Career Routes of a Visual merchandiser:
It is not vital to be a graduate to work in Visual merchandising, since many people have progressed into it from being sales advisers, but fashion or textile qualification could be advantageous when combined with retail experience. Visual merchandising is a creative career opportunities in the fashion industry. Now a days visual merchandising is the most demand-able job for a fashion designer.
If you want to know the detail information about “Different Areas of Fashion Career” please visit…..
- Most visual merchandising jobs are in fashion and home ware departments and stores. You can also find some opportunities for display work at museums, tourist attractions, airports and hotels.
- With experience, you could progress to display team leader and then to visual merchandising manager, retail environment can be helpful and retailers often recruit internally from store level and train visual merchandiser in house.
- Large retailers usually have national and regional visual merchandising manager who can earn competitive salaries, responsible for developing store display and layouts and managing in-store visual merchandiser.
- Visual merchandiser career can take many paths. It could take you along a creative career routes- implementing windows and in-store displays to designing window schemes and training store staff in display techniques, or a more strategic role in planning and merchandising stores to maximize sales.
- Another option could be to move into retail merchandising, retail design (designing the layout of stores), or into exhibition or interior design. You could also work as a freelance display designer, creating one-off displays for clients or move into online merchandising.
- Visual merchandising consultant work independently, providing advice’s to retailers on visual merchandising strategy and are generally the most highly paid in this field.